Fabulous Friday: Confession Time
I’m spilling the cats and letting the beans out of the bag.
Wait. I think something’s wrong with that statement.
In this fitness-crazed world, filled with buzzwords like “clean,” “paleo,” “vegan,” “plant-based,” “whole food,” and on and on, I feel like a cheap hooker, hawking my health for just a taste of the comforting deliciousness I was raised on. Maybe its just the rebel in me, but from soul food to fast food, heat ’em up meals to the sweet stuff, being bad never felt so good.
So what are the comfort foods that tickle my fancy and satisfy my soul? Here’s just a sampling of what I’ve eaten this year alone…
10. BACON. You will never persuade me to believe that bacon is bad. Bacon is pure happiness. I am convinced that if we could get the Jews and the Muslims to eat bacon, world peace would ensue.
9. KFC Chicken Tender Go Cup… the potato wedges remind me of the local grocery’s “tater logs” I loved as a child.
8. Fried chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy. Just like mama used to make. Well, actually she did make it. Mr. Incredible’s mama, that is. It was finger lickin’ good!
7. Big Mac. Well, just make it a meal deal. Gotta have those McD’s fries! And, while you’re at it, order a coke… Water is NOT the proper pairing for a meal such as this.
6. Beer. Not just any beer. I’m talking dark lager – the kind that is a meal unto itself. That’s my recovery drink of choice.
5. Red Baron Special Deluxe Pizza. I can eat a whole one by myself in one sitting. I did eat a whole one after my last Half Marathon…. along with two of the aforementioned lagers.
4. Venti Caramel Macchiato. How many calories does it have? Don’t know. Don’t care. All I know about it: that’s a 20 ounce trip to Heaven.
3. Italian Creme Cake. It was actually just a bite, but, OH what a bite. The rest of the honking huge slice is waiting in my work locker… I was gonna share with Mr. Incredible, but am reconsidering. It’s just that good. Yeh, I’m stingy with my food sometimes.
2. Chicken and Waffles. With syrup. LOTS of it. Not the sugar-free kind either. Afterward, I ran my fastest 2 mile run to date. Need I say more?
1. Bologna sandwiches with, dare I say it… REAL mayo. Not just any bologna – THICK cut bologna. There’s just something about Springtime, honeysuckle and bologna that takes me back to the golden days of early childhood where my days were filled with blissful play. I wouldn’t trade that for all the quinoa in Kentucky.
*Disclaimer: I actually DO like quinoa. I enjoy the healthy stuff, too. 😉
Posted on February 28, 2014, in Nutrition and tagged 10 Things I Love, bacon, cake, chicken, clean eating, confession, eat dirty, food, fries, macchiato, pizza, run to eat, runner, true confessions of a runner. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.