I had talked myself out of running before I even rolled out of bed. My first alarm went off and I got up just long enough to silence it. Two hours later, my “for real this time, get your butt out of bed” alarm went off. I dragged myself towards the kitchen for a cup of coffee and noticed the sun was shining oddly bright this day. Letting the dogs out to do their business, I was shocked at the absence of cold. Sun? Warmth? What is this voodoo?
As I trudged on into the kitchen and started sipping my coffee, I noticed a package on the counter. I LOVE getting packages in the mail. It always feels like Christmas when I get packages in the mail. It REALLY felt like Christmas when I looked in the box to find a huge hunkin’ handful of PocketFuel! These folks are crazy generous with their sample sizes!
As I flipped through the packets, looking at the flavors and ingredients, my mouth began to drool. I HAD to test these babies out STAT! Oh yeh, I was going for a run!
Since I was skipping breakfast, for my first trial I went with the most breakfast-y flavor – Banana Blueberry. I didn’t really taste banana OR blueberry. What I did taste was creamy, nutty deliciousness.
It was such a beautiful day I even got baby girl out in the jogging stroller.
She napped most of the run.
I was scheduled for 6 miles of intervals, but the stroller slowed me down (can someone say FEEL THE BURN! I mean SERIOUSLY – my arms were BURNING a mile in!) especially on the hills. I ended up going a slow 3.24, powering up the hills to try to make up for the decreased distance.
I never felt an energy spike, nor did I ever feel a crash – just a steady flow of energy.
Later that night, at work, instead of being forced to choose between eating or working out, I got to get in a yoga session AND eat some yummy PocketFuel – coconut cherry, this time…
And this time, I could definitely taste the coconut AND the cherry. Mmmmm mmmmmm good!
On my second day of Christmas, I mean PocketFuel testing, I hit the mother load – CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO. Oh my sweet deliciousness.
Hello. My name is Jennifer. I’m a coffee addict. I love Starbucks, dark chocolate, and all things espresso. I have been clean for zero days.
Oh yes, I’m sure you guessed it – this is by far my favorite flavor. The only bad thing about this flavor is that I don’t have a one gallon ice cream tub filled with it. Except, well, that’s probably a good thing.
This choco espresso goodness got me through another lunchbreak (that’s actually supper time for most folks) yoga session, and was a nice pick-me-up to get through the rest of the night shift.
I parted ways with Vanilla Haze, gifting it to a co-worker who suffers from Celiac disease. He had never heard of PocketFuel before. I’m happy to report he now likes these little packets of whole food deliciousness much as I do!
For my long run test, I drizzled Chia Goji & Honey over a sliced banana on bread which was a yummy pre-run snack.
The only thing I didn’t like during my run is that I had to carry a sandwich bag to put my packet in once I emptied it – to keep my pocket clean. This is an issue with gels, too. PocketFuel actually makes reusable pouches, though, eliminating the issue altogether.
Long story short, PocketFuel is a wonderfuel whole food product that has many applications for my (and I’m sure your) life. Whether I’m trying to squeeze too much into one day or cranking out a long run, I don’t have to sacrifice my taste buds or my nutritional well-being on the altar of time. PocketFuel is the rocket in my pocket that keeps me in orbit! 🙂
In addition to providing me with these tasty samples to review here, the awesome folks at PocketFuel have also offered to provide samples for one lucky reader in an upcoming giveaway. Its coming very soon, so stay tuned for a wonderfuel giveaway!
Ten things I love about Winter …because sometimes I need a reminder.
10. Soft, fuzzy socks & pj’s
9. Curling up in a ball under a warm heavy blanket on the couch
8. Soups & chili – The ultimate Winter comfort food. Sure you can eat ’em during Summer, but who wants to?
7. I love when I look out the window and see a big, fat Cardinal perched on a branch. Amidst the dreary landscape, that bright pop of color just livens up the moment.
6. The warmth from a steaming hot cup of coffee in my hands (even better if it’s Starbucks…. Even greater still is if I’m in Seattle at Starbucks). This is something I enjoy year-round, but the pleasure is heightened during the cold of Winter.
5. Wearing layers. I don’t get to dress up often, but when I do it’s fun to play with layers. Summer is too hot to really get to do this, unless I want to pass out from a heat stroke. While Spring & Fall allow for layers, it still tends to be a bit warm for it. Winter, however, is perfect for it!
4. Winter is the time for feasting. From Holiday parties to simply warming the house while baking goodies for family and friends, Winter is the time to eat, drink, and be merry!
3. Snow. We don’t get much of it, so it really is a novelty that I can’t get enough of. A few weeks ago, I went on an EARLY morning 4 mile run before work and my little world was covered in snow and ice, sparkling like diamonds under a full moon. It was absolutely enchanting.
2.FIRE. I LOVE FIRE. There is nothing more comforting than cozying up to a crackling fire on a cold day.
1. It’s so much easier for me to run in the cold. I want to stay warm, so…. I RUN. Training is easier for me to stick to when I know I can run at anytime day or night since I don’t have heat advisories to work around. This is why I scheduled my first marathon for Spring – I set myself up for success, knowing I would stick to my training plan through Winter.
So, there you have it – a few of my favorite things about Winter. What do you love most about Winter?