This past weekend I decided to make a smoothie with RecoveryBits to help ward off another round of impending sickness. Baby Girl had a snotty nose and a cough, and The Hubster wasn’t feeling 100%. I was feeling good, and wanted to keep it that way.
Baby Girl isn’t quite yet 11 months old, and though she does have several teeth and eats pretty much EVERYTHING, I was nervous that she might choke on the algae bits, due to their size. So, I decided a smoothie would be the best way to get them in her and I ransacked the kitchen for some tasty ingredients. I came up with what you see above.
Happy Mama #PoweredWithBits Smoothie
30 RecoveryBits (or EnergyBits) algae bits
1/2 cup Organic Carrot Juice
1/2 cup Almond Coconut Milk
Pulse in blender. ENJOY!
Baby Girl enjoyed it!
I enjoyed it!
Hubster didn’t even taste it.
Can you guess what happened?
Baby Girl and I have been as healthy as horses all week. Poor Hubster has been down for the count, terribly sick all week.
Now, I’m not into Snake Oil and such, and I’m not saying taking the bits would’ve prevented him from getting sick. There are many factors that lead to illness. He comes into contact with many more people in a day than I, which puts him at greater exposure to pathogens and viruses. His job is more stressful than mine, which leads to a depressed immune system. Improvements in diet and exercise can help to overcome those stressors, though, and this is where I believe ENERGYbits and RECOVERYbits play a role.
So, here we are at the end of the week and my #PoweredWithBits Smoothie of the Day is slightly modified. I had no bananas, so that didn’t make it into today’s recipe. I did have organic cherry juice, and I love the tart kick that it adds! Baby Girl really loved this one, too. She gulped down a half of a sippy cup (without the lid… it’s too thick for the lid) at once!
#PoweredWithBits Happy Baby Smoothie
30-40 RECOVERYbits (or ENERGYbits)
1 cup Organic Carrot Juice
1 cup Organic Cherry Juice
1 cup Almond Coconut Milk
Pulse in blender. Pour into Mason jar for an on-the-go treat! Pour some into a sippy cup for the baby and watch her SMILE!
Want to give ENERGYbits a try? Checkout my giveaway for a chance to win an ENERGYbits sample, a PocketFuel sample, and a SpiBelt!
I had talked myself out of running before I even rolled out of bed. My first alarm went off and I got up just long enough to silence it. Two hours later, my “for real this time, get your butt out of bed” alarm went off. I dragged myself towards the kitchen for a cup of coffee and noticed the sun was shining oddly bright this day. Letting the dogs out to do their business, I was shocked at the absence of cold. Sun? Warmth? What is this voodoo?
As I trudged on into the kitchen and started sipping my coffee, I noticed a package on the counter. I LOVE getting packages in the mail. It always feels like Christmas when I get packages in the mail. It REALLY felt like Christmas when I looked in the box to find a huge hunkin’ handful of PocketFuel! These folks are crazy generous with their sample sizes!
As I flipped through the packets, looking at the flavors and ingredients, my mouth began to drool. I HAD to test these babies out STAT! Oh yeh, I was going for a run!
Since I was skipping breakfast, for my first trial I went with the most breakfast-y flavor – Banana Blueberry. I didn’t really taste banana OR blueberry. What I did taste was creamy, nutty deliciousness.
It was such a beautiful day I even got baby girl out in the jogging stroller.
She napped most of the run.
I was scheduled for 6 miles of intervals, but the stroller slowed me down (can someone say FEEL THE BURN! I mean SERIOUSLY – my arms were BURNING a mile in!) especially on the hills. I ended up going a slow 3.24, powering up the hills to try to make up for the decreased distance.
I never felt an energy spike, nor did I ever feel a crash – just a steady flow of energy.
Later that night, at work, instead of being forced to choose between eating or working out, I got to get in a yoga session AND eat some yummy PocketFuel – coconut cherry, this time…
And this time, I could definitely taste the coconut AND the cherry. Mmmmm mmmmmm good!
On my second day of Christmas, I mean PocketFuel testing, I hit the mother load – CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO. Oh my sweet deliciousness.
Hello. My name is Jennifer. I’m a coffee addict. I love Starbucks, dark chocolate, and all things espresso. I have been clean for zero days.
Oh yes, I’m sure you guessed it – this is by far my favorite flavor. The only bad thing about this flavor is that I don’t have a one gallon ice cream tub filled with it. Except, well, that’s probably a good thing.
This choco espresso goodness got me through another lunchbreak (that’s actually supper time for most folks) yoga session, and was a nice pick-me-up to get through the rest of the night shift.
I parted ways with Vanilla Haze, gifting it to a co-worker who suffers from Celiac disease. He had never heard of PocketFuel before. I’m happy to report he now likes these little packets of whole food deliciousness much as I do!
For my long run test, I drizzled Chia Goji & Honey over a sliced banana on bread which was a yummy pre-run snack.
The only thing I didn’t like during my run is that I had to carry a sandwich bag to put my packet in once I emptied it – to keep my pocket clean. This is an issue with gels, too. PocketFuel actually makes reusable pouches, though, eliminating the issue altogether.
Long story short, PocketFuel is a wonderfuel whole food product that has many applications for my (and I’m sure your) life. Whether I’m trying to squeeze too much into one day or cranking out a long run, I don’t have to sacrifice my taste buds or my nutritional well-being on the altar of time. PocketFuel is the rocket in my pocket that keeps me in orbit! 🙂
In addition to providing me with these tasty samples to review here, the awesome folks at PocketFuel have also offered to provide samples for one lucky reader in an upcoming giveaway. Its coming very soon, so stay tuned for a wonderfuel giveaway!
I’m spilling the cats and letting the beans out of the bag.
Wait. I think something’s wrong with that statement.
In this fitness-crazed world, filled with buzzwords like “clean,” “paleo,” “vegan,” “plant-based,” “whole food,” and on and on, I feel like a cheap hooker, hawking my health for just a taste of the comforting deliciousness I was raised on. Maybe its just the rebel in me, but from soul food to fast food, heat ’em up meals to the sweet stuff, being bad never felt so good.
So what are the comfort foods that tickle my fancy and satisfy my soul? Here’s just a sampling of what I’ve eaten this year alone…
10. BACON. You will never persuade me to believe that bacon is bad. Bacon is pure happiness. I am convinced that if we could get the Jews and the Muslims to eat bacon, world peace would ensue.
9. KFC Chicken Tender Go Cup… the potato wedges remind me of the local grocery’s “tater logs” I loved as a child.
8. Fried chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy. Just like mama used to make. Well, actually she did make it. Mr. Incredible’s mama, that is. It was finger lickin’ good!
7. Big Mac. Well, just make it a meal deal. Gotta have those McD’s fries! And, while you’re at it, order a coke… Water is NOT the proper pairing for a meal such as this.
6. Beer. Not just any beer. I’m talking dark lager – the kind that is a meal unto itself. That’s my recovery drink of choice.
5. Red Baron Special Deluxe Pizza. I can eat a whole one by myself in one sitting. I did eat a whole one after my last Half Marathon…. along with two of the aforementioned lagers.
4. Venti Caramel Macchiato. How many calories does it have? Don’t know. Don’t care. All I know about it: that’s a 20 ounce trip to Heaven.
3. Italian Creme Cake. It was actually just a bite, but, OH what a bite. The rest of the honking huge slice is waiting in my work locker… I was gonna share with Mr. Incredible, but am reconsidering. It’s just that good. Yeh, I’m stingy with my food sometimes.
2. Chicken and Waffles. With syrup. LOTS of it. Not the sugar-free kind either. Afterward, I ran my fastest 2 mile run to date. Need I say more?
1. Bologna sandwiches with, dare I say it… REAL mayo. Not just any bologna – THICK cut bologna. There’s just something about Springtime, honeysuckle and bologna that takes me back to the golden days of early childhood where my days were filled with blissful play. I wouldn’t trade that for all the quinoa in Kentucky.
*Disclaimer: I actually DO like quinoa. I enjoy the healthy stuff, too. 😉