Those who know me well know that I hate the over-commercialization of holidays. On this day that was set aside for the celebration of love, our society has made it more about “stuff” and less about the things that truly matter. It really and truly annoys the fire out of me.
So, as strange as this may sound coming from a woman, I refuse (and have refused for many years) to participate in the celebration of Valentine’s Day.
Does this mean I don’t celebrate love? On the contrary. Mr. Incredible and I have our own (long-standing tradition) way of celebrating… with Tuesdays. What’s so great about Tuesdays? Well…
10. Valentine’s Day only comes once a year, but Tuesdays come every week!
9. In our house, Tuesday could come on ANY day, even a Friday…
8. There can even be more than one Tuesday in a week!
7. You don’t need to be reminded to get a Tuesday gift – Tuesdays are spontaneous and random.
6. When I get a Tuesday, I know it truly came from the heart.
5. A Tuesday can be a little, everyday thing. (Like k-cups when I’m running low, or a bag of jolly ranchers for Mr. Incredible – his fave Sunday morning candy.) It says, “hey, I’m paying attention.” THAT speaks volumes.
4. No one expects a Tuesday – no pressure increases the joy and excitement of giving and receiving.
3. There are no advertisements constantly bombarding me to “BUY A TUESDAY!”
2. Tuesdays are our own little special way of celebrating love – unique and quirky… just like us.
1. God gave us the greatest Tuesday of all when our daughter was born… on a Tuesday.
Are you put off by commercialization as much as I am? Do you have any quirky traditions of your own?